Counterpoint Community Orchestra Composition Program

Call for Applications

The deadline for submissions has passed. Please check back in September 2019 for results.

Deadline - June 30, 2019

Counterpoint Community Orchestra (CCO) has been operating as a community orchestra in downtown Toronto for 35 years. It was the first LGBT/gay positive orchestra in Canada and in the world. CCO is offering $1,500 towards a 6 - 10 minute commission to celebrate their 35th season.

Applications will be submitted through an online form. Composers wishing to apply should submit PDFs of one or two scores and corresponding two-minute audio samples (in mp3 format) of their existing works. MIDI sound files are accepted. Applicants should provide a brief statement regarding thematic and/or musical ideas that they hope to explore in the proposed new work.

All material must be anonymous with the composer’s name replaced by a pseudonym. Jury members will receive applicant statements and links to support material, but no identifying information. One representative of CCO will be designated to track the name and contact info for each applicant.

There is no fee to apply.

Deadline for applications: June 30, 2019 (11:59 pm EST)

Eligibility

Applicants must be Canadian citizens, or permanent resident of Canada

Program details

The selected composer would be expected to take part in consultations with the conductor, and engage in dialogue through the rehearsal process. The selected composer is expected to attend the premiere performance of the commissioned piece—CCO could contribute some funds towards travel costs, support applications for travel funding for composers based outside of Toronto, and potentially support housing for a visiting composer.

We will provide 35% of the $1,500 fee to the selected composer upon selection, and the remaining 65% upon delivery of the completed score and parts.

The selected composer will receive a recording of the premiere performance.

Expectations

We require that the commissioned piece include a dedication to the ensemble. Counterpoint will own the score and parts and would potentially remount the piece in future concert seasons.

Instrumentation and ensemble info

CCO is a member-run, non-audition community group consisting of strings (violin I and II, viola, cello, bass), paired flute (optional piccolo), oboe (optional English Horn), clarinet (optional bass clarinet) and bassoon, 4 horns, 2 trumpets and 2 trombones. Tuba and timpani/ other percussion are optional. Rehearsals are Monday evenings from 8 to 10 pm at the 519 Church St Community Centre.

Timeline

  • Application period: May-June 2019
  • Deadline: June 30, 2019
  • Selection Process: July-August 2019
  • Results announced: September 1, 2019
  • Initial Writing and consultation period: September-December 2019
  • Preliminary reading with Orchestra: January 2020
  • Feedback and editing: February 2020
  • Rehearsals: March-June 2020

Date of the premiere

Concert venue: St. Peter and St. Simon-the-Apostle church, 525 Bloor St East, Toronto

Concert date: June 13, 2020

CCO reserves the right not to grant the commission.

Resources

Listen to Our June 2018 Concert - "Grand Finale"

Hebrides Overture, Fingal's Cave - Felix Mendelssohn

Elegy - Andrew McClure

Concerto for Flute and Orchestra in D Major, op. 283 - Carl Reinecke - Flute Soloist - Stephen Tam

Symphony No. 4 - Johannes Brahms